The Leo Baeck Elementary School opened in 2007 and currently has 250 students in grades 1 through 6. The school, under the direction of Dr. Luli Stern, provides a 43-hour week filled with academic learning, progressive Jewish content and a wide variety of enrichment programming including musical instrument lessons, yoga, Chi Gong, swimming, sports, community service and ecological excursions. Students are personally involved in the planning, preparation and presentation of Havdallah services, Parashat Ha’Shavua services, Rosh Chodesh events, and Jewish and Israeli holiday celebrations.
The Leo Baeck Elementary School prides itself on its values-based curriculum which focuses on academic excellence, community outreach and social action. The school’s core values are:
- Tikkun Olam – social involvement and community responsibility
- The value of life-long learning
- Creative leadership and active citizenship
- Love and protection of the environment
- Giving and personal responsibility
- Progressive and democratic Jewish lifestyle
- Learning, family and community
- Heritage of the Jewish People and the State of Israel
- Parental partnership in the educational process
- The wellbeing of Israeli society
Elementary School Scholarships
The school provides full scholarships for Ethiopian-Israeli children (the Ethiopian Scholarship Program) and subsidies for children of immigrants from the Former Soviet Union and native Israelis whose parents are struggling financially.